Τετάρτη 29 Φεβρουαρίου 2012

Lactose Free Cinnamon Bread

So, here is the deal, I will post a picture of the bread one of the following days, ones I manage to get a new memory card for my camera because I just kissed the old one goodbye.
Cinnamon apparently rocks on so many different levels. Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory. It helps control blood sugar levels. It is a great source of manganese, dietary fiber, iron and calcium. The smell of cinnamon helps memory and also performance on certain tasks. There is one small risk though, when consuming huge amounts of cinnamon or cinnamon supplements, and that is coumarin. Coumarin can thin the blood, so if you are on an anti-clot medication, consult your doctor before starting cinnamon supplements, amazed by the above mentioned benefits. 
Here is how it all started: I wanted to make those fluffy deserts made of egg whites and sugar and all recipes called for a hand mixer or egg - beating forever. I thought "oh well, blender is kind of the same..". Well. It's not. There is a certain whisking speed, above which the eggs just refuse to become a thick foam and just stick to a buttermilk like consistency. So, here I was, with the egg whites of 5 eggs mixed with sugar and nothing to do with them. Except that I had one of those "!" moments. And below are the results:
Ingredients:
-5 egg whites
-10 tablespoons of sugar
-1 tablespoon of olive oil (or butter, but I wanted to keep it lactose free)
-tons of grounded cinnamon. I think I used something like 3 tablespoons.
-about one cup of self rising flour (more or less)
-half a package of baking powder
Take a mixing bowl. Throw in it the egg whites you destroyed by blending them with the sugar. Throw in the olive oil. Add the baking powder and the cinnamon. Mix well. Now start adding the flour, until you have a sticky gooey mixture, that is not as firm as a bread dough but not as runny as a brownie mixture. It should stick on the spoon and stay there. Put it in the (preheated, sorry, I keep forgetting) oven and bake at 180 C for 25 minutes. I used wax paper to cover the baking form, but I guess oil or butter would do. Leave it in the oven to cool.
Tastes great on it's own or with citrus curd. Which, by the way (the citrus curd, I mean) is made using egg yolks, which makes it the perfect combination with the cinnamon bread egg-whites. There are a few recipes I tried out and I loved for curds
Nutrition sources:
http://www.thehealthysnacksblog.com, http://altmedicine.about.com/od/cinnamon/a/cinnamon.htm
P.S.: Yesterday, Nicola Graimes' book "The cook's guide to whole foods" arrived at out mail box. It is great because it is illustrated. It has pictures of every little obscure seed out there and I do recommend it. You can find it here, used or new. I love Better World Books for two reasons: for each book you buy, they donate one and, secondly, you do not need a credit card to buy from them. Paypal works!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου